06 April 2007

9/11 in the Bible

Until I was forty I read the Bible occasionally, mostly in random spurts, but I never "had" religion. One of the few passages I was familiar with came to me from George Orwell's essay, "Politics and the English Language." He used it to illustrate the deterioration of modern writing from the concrete to the abstract, to bureaucrat-speak one used "in defense of the indefensible." Anyhow, he cited what he called a "well-known" passage from Ecclesiastes.

„Wiederum sah ich, wie es unter der Sonne zugeht: zum laufen hilft nicht schnell sein, zum Kampf hilft nicht stark sein, zur Nahrung hilft nicht geschickt sein, zum Reichtum hilf nicht klug sein; dass einer angenehm sei, dazu hilft nicht, dass er etwas gut kann, sondern alles liegt an Zeit und Glück“.
Prediger 9,11

Ecclesiastes 9:11. [Insert Twilight Zone music here.]